PA AUL Registry
PA Activity and Use Limitations Registry
The Uniform Environmental Covenants Act (UECA) generally requires the use of environmental covenants (ECs) when engineering or institutional controls are necessary
to demonstrate attainment or assure maintenance of an Act 2 remediation standard. DEP is obligated under UECA to maintain a registry for the public display of covenants
received. Therefore, DEP has developed the Pennsylvania Activity and Use Limitation (PA AUL) Registry.
The PA AUL Registry is a user friendly map-based website that allows users to identify within the commonwealth where any type of Activity and Use Limitation (AUL) had
been imposed and of which DEP has been informed. AULs are restrictions or obligations with respect to real property. The term includes engineering and institutional
controls. The following AULs can be identified using the PA AUL Registry:
- Groundwater Use Prohibition
- Groundwater Treatment
- Health and Safety Plan
- Leachate Collection System
- Maintenance of Cap
- Municipal Ordinance
- Non-Residential Use
- Other Engineering Control
- Other Institutional Control
- Maintenance of Point-of-Entry Treatment System (POETS)
- Slab on Grade Construction
- Slurry Wall
- Soil Management
- Stormwater Management
- Vapor Barrier
- Vapor Mitigation
- Vapor Investigation
- Groundwater Use Monitoring
The PA AUL Registry provides direct links to AUL documents associated with a particular property.
The following AUL documents can be viewed using the PA AUL Registry
- Administrative Orders
- EPA Consent Decrees
- Consent Orders and Agreements
- Deed Restrictions
- Environmental Covenants
- Military Master Plans
- Municipal Ordinances
- Post-Remediation Care Plans
While the AUL and Use Limitations (AUL) site data provided in this registry provides useful information,
the user should be aware of the following:
- Point Locations representing AUL sites in this registry should be considered approximate. Latitude/Longitude coordinates are best estimates that
are provided by third parties to DEP. Approximate locations of most AUL points have been visually verified by DEP through review and interpretation
of paper and online maps.
- AUL sites that have not been reported to DEP are not included.
- Contamination on AUL sites may extend beyond the property boundary of the site represented by the point on this map. The site files at DEP regional
offices should be reviewed for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding a particular site.
- The content of the registry is for informational purposes.
- Searching for AULs using only a Primary Facility Number, Tank ID Number or tax parcel number may not show all properties impacted by the same release.
Performing a file review at DEP regional offices will provide detailed information regarding the source of the release and impacts to nearby properties.
- Some sites contain AULs developed prior to the implementation of UECA and have been added to this registry through a manual search of DEP case files to
identify sites that have AULs. As a result, this registry may not reflect all sites containing AULs.
- DEP may change information in this registry at any time.